Who doesn’t like sweets? Sweets work like therapy to the body after a meal, but for the ones who have sugar tooths, it works anytime during the day.
We try new bakeries to get the desired taste of donuts, some satisfy us, some don’t. But they surely make a hole in our pocket with the sky-high prices.
Donuts are so easy to make at home, by mixing simple ingredients to make a dough that can be baked or fried, all depends upon you. There’s something special in cooking your favorite dishes by yourself, and making donuts is so wholesome that you’d be making these every weekend with this easy recipe that beats expensive bakeries.
People assume that glaze must be too hard to make, but it is easier than donuts themselves. You can prepare it in the time your donuts are deep frying. With milk and sugar, and the best part about preparing this at home is; you can choose the food coloring according to your choice and make it look more attractive.
Colorful Glazed Donuts
- 1 cup milk
- 1/3 cup sugar (granulated)
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 3 ½ cups (400g ) all-purpose flour
- 1 egg
- 2 ½ tbsp fresh yeast
- 1 tbsp lemon zest
- 1/3 cup butter (unsalted)
- Pinch of salt (necessary amount)
- 1 tbsp milk
- 3/4 cup sugar (confectioners)
- Food coloring (optional)
- Sprinkles (optional)
- Chocolatepastry cream (optional)
- Ina large bowl, mix the flour, eggs, lemon zest, yeast, salt, sugar.
- Add the milk little by little and continue mixing.
- Knead for a few minutes, forming a dough.
- In the center of the dough, add the butter and integrate. The dough will become sticky. Continue to knead until an even texture is formed. The dough should not be sticky. Put the dough in a bowl and cover. Let the dough rest in the refrigerator preferably for a few hours. The dough should double in size.
- Flour a working surface. Roll out the dough until it is about 0.5 cm thick. Cover with parchment paper or plastic cling wrap and let it rest for another 30minutes.
- Cut with a donut mold. If you do not have a donut mold, you can cut with a circular object having a diameter of about 7 or 8 cm and another for the middle hole about 2 or 3 cm.
- Use the rest of the dough to roll out again and cut more donuts. Let the cut donuts rest for another 15 minutes.
- Heat up oil to around 350 F degrees. Fry the donuts on both sides, giving golden surfaces.
- Add the milk to the powdered sugar and whisk.
- Add the food coloring (optional)
TIPS AND TRICKS
Let Dough Rise
– After kneading the dough, let it rise by refrigerating overnight for better results.
-Before frying your doughnuts, let them rise for 30 minutes in a warm place.
Stiff and Firm Dough
-If you find your dough soft after kneading, freeze it for extra 2 hours. It will be frim and stiff enough after freezing.
-You can store shaped doughnuts for approx. 3 months in a freezer. On the day of service, thaw the doughnuts for 4-5 hours and fry them as per instructions.
-You can also store fried doughnuts (unglazed) for up to 3 months. On the day of serving, thaw the doughnuts for 1-2 hours and heat them for 30 seconds in a microwave. Dunk them in your favorite glaze and enjoy!
1.Pour the colored glazes in a piping bag or ziplock bag. Cut one side of the bag with a scissor of approx. 2-3mm in size. Now drizzle the glaze in a zig-zag pattern or any other pattern you want.
2.Pour colored glaze in different bowls. Dip one side of the doughnut direct into the glaze, twist once and remove the doughnut from the glaze.
If you are a real fan of sweet glazes, then double-dip your doughnuts with two different flavors. Let the first glaze set for 5-10 minutes and then again dip the doughnut into another flavor of the glaze.
Decorate your colorful donut with chocolate chips, colorful sprinkles, grounded cinnamon powder, dry nuts, crushed cranberries, colorful candies.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
WHY THERE IS A NEED FOR FREEZING DOUGH?
Chilling doughnuts for a specific time is a must. The butter makes doughnuts dough lose and a little tacky and it can be solidified by freezing. Timing of freezing can be flexible according to the smoothness of your dough, if you find your dough firm and stiff within 2-3 hours of freezing then you can proceed with further steps.
Secondly, freezing the doughnut dough also helps in shaping the doughnuts more accurately and result in soft and fluffy doughnuts.
HOW TO FIND OUT THE BEST TEMPERATURE FOR FRYING THE DOUGHNUTS?
Normally, the best temperature for frying doughnuts is between 350 to 375 degrees.
Measuring exact oil temperature is not that easy without a thermometer. For deep frying, an infrared thermometer is recommended for deep frying.
Not having oil temperature measuring thermometer? Don’t worry. Stick a wooden spoon to the bottom of the heated oil pan and if you see bubbles around that spoon floating, it means your heated oil is ready to fry.
HOW TO SHAPE DOUGHNUTS WITHOUT A CUTTER OR MOLD?
Having no doughnut cutter? Use a canning ring with a wide mouth or some small size steel bowl for the outer cutting of the doughnut and for the inner circle, press a lid of a water bottle or some soda bottle, and your shaped doughnut is ready.
HOW TO ASSUME THAT DOUGHNUTS ARE FRIED?
When you find both sides of your doughnuts are turned to golden brown color, they are ready. It will hardly take a minute on both sides to fry them completely.
Donuts generally float in oil while frying so use a wide frying pan with enough oil.