A healthy and heavy breakfast gives a kick start to your day. But getting a tastier breakfast can uplift your mood. Taste along with health is all we seek in a meal. Avocado donuts are one of a kind.
Who doesn’t crave donuts?
Now imagine the donuts with the essence of avocado. Donuts are deep-fried or baked flour dough with different types of filling and flavors. You must be thinking about how avocado will make donuts tastier?
Swapping butter for avocados may sound bad, but it will surely be delicious and finger-licking.
Fudge and baked avocado donuts are moist, they are made with whole wheat flour and a whole avocado. They will taste nothing less than chocolate donuts. The sweet avocado glaze will give jerk of flavors to your taste buds and make you feel satisfied.
The chocolate sprinkles used for toppings make its look and taste more overpowering. Moreover, it is counted in lavish American breakfast. The best part is you don’t need to pay a bakery for this, it is so easy to make it at home be it baked or fried. Baked donuts will taste nothing less than muffins. Isn’t this a good reason to make it?
This recipe of avocado donuts is easy to follow and a quirky and delicious experiment for you.
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 ripe avocado
- 1/2 tbsp baking powder
- 1/2 tbsp baking soda
- 1/3 tbsp salt
- 1 cup milk
- 3/4 cup maple syrup
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 1 ripe avocado
- 1 tbsp unsalted butter, softened
- 1/2 tbsp vanilla extract
- 2 cups powdered sugar, sifted
- chocolate sprinkles
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray a donut pan with nonstick baking spray or grease it with oil.
- In a large bowl, whisk the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cocoa powder, and salt. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, mash the avocado until smooth. Add in milk, maple syrup, vanilla, and apple cider vinegar. Mix until combined, making sure there are no avocado lumps.
- Pour the mixture into the dry ingredients and mix just until combined.
- Use a spoon or a piping bag to fill donut cavities with batter 3/4 way full.
- Bake for 16-18 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Allow to cool slightly before removing from pan. Place on a wire rack to cool completely.
- For the frosting, in a medium bowl, mash avocado with butter until combined. Beat in vanilla. Add powdered sugar and mix until smooth. Add more powdered sugar, if needed.
- Top the cooled donuts with frosting and chocolate sprinkles.
TIPS AND TRICKS
FREEZE IN ZIP-LOCK
Doughnuts taste better on the same day but if you have enough doughnuts to store, freeze every doughnut individually in an air-tight container or zip-lock bag and then thaw doughnuts at room temperature before serving.
TOP WITH CASHEWS
For adding crunch to the doughnuts, sprinkle pieces of cashews over avocado glaze or you can also add your favorite dry fruit into the batter before baking.
LET DOUGHNUTS COOL DOWN
Cool down the doughnuts completely at room temperature before dipping them into the avocado glaze.
RIPENED AVOCADO TO BAKE
Use ripened avocado to give moist and velvety texture to your baked doughnuts.
DON’T KEEP BATTER FOR TOO LONG
Once the batter is ready, bake doughnuts immediately. Don’t keep it aside for too long because it will deflate over time.
BAKING TIME VARIES
Baking time varies according to the size of the doughnut, material of the doughnut pan (metal or silicone), the thickness of your piped doughnuts. So, keep a check on these points while baking. Bake them until they turned to a golden-brown color.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Why does avocado frosting turn to Darker Green or Brown?
Because frosting is made of up full avocado and enzyme in avocado reacts with the oxygen which turns it into darker green or brown.
How to make gluten-free doughnuts?
You can use oats powder to make gluten-free doughnuts.
How to add a chocolate twist to these doughnuts?
You can add 1-2 tablespoons of cocoa powder to the batter along with chocolate chips.
What to do, if you don’t have a doughnuts pan?
You can bake doughnuts in the muffin pan or some idli pan.
Can we add another flavor along with avocado?
Yes, you can add mashed banana along with avocado.
How to eat these doughnuts without a glaze?
You can have plain baked doughnuts or powdered sugar sprinkled on top.
How to make these doughnuts sugar-free?
Instead of using powdered sugar, you can use white-stevia powder or honey syrup.
You can enjoy these doughnuts with cold-flavored milk or hot piping coffee to energize your lazy mornings and tired evenings.